Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Correspondence from an HCSG Employee

Apparently, things are greatly improved at HCSG, the company formerly known as Fresenius. I received an email last week from an HCSG employee who requested that I use this forum to to provide an update to my earlier blog post from last Fall (for reference click here).

The writer advised that HCSG never implemented a new payroll structure, one which was targeted to begin in March and was previously the subject of tension and concern among HCSG employees when it was announced. Although the writer did not like my terminology of “holding a week’s salary in arrears” to describe the payroll changes, there was no intent to mislead, as suggested. To the contrary, that blog post dated September 10th speculated on the many reasons why a new payroll system might be initiated.

Here’s how the writer explained the reasoning behind HCSG’s proposed payroll changes:

…they were not holding a week of employees salaries back due to financial problems, but rather they were trying to get all employees, exempt and non exempt, on the same payroll schedule…Basically, they ultimately decided to leave the payroll AS IS for the Exempt employees, and did not change the way in which Exempt employees are paid. However, I find it ironic that you never reported on this since you seem to have "insider" information….(and) as a CEO…it should be your responsibility to correct misinformation or (provide) any updated information since you were the one to put that information out there for all to see in the first place.”

We do our best to bring all matters of interest to our readers and industry news to the forefront as they become known to us. In our business, checking up on other companies internal affairs just isn’t a priority. Further, we’ve allowed this platform to be open to all contributors to add their commentary. At any time, it is welcomed for all to write in, even posts which are anonymously made are appreciated. We report news as it is shared and upon request, as well.

The writer also wanted it communicated here as to how HCSG employees are paid. Another excerpt from the email:

“You also alluded many times to the fact that HCSG/Formerly Fresenius does not pay its employees what they are worth. I will be the first to say that this was true and Fresenius was the worst when it came to merit increases. However…HCSG is trying hard to make things right and has restructured its compensation packages. HCSG restructured their salaries based on merit increases and…by creating three pay regions around the country…(reflective of) cost-of-living.

I am sure your confidential source of information MUST have told you about this, no?? Yet you fail to report on it, why? I think HCSG deserves some credit don't you? At least they are the first company to take employees concerns and complaints to heart and actually DO something about it unlike its predecessor(s). Yet you don't report on that....I am almost forced to wonder if unless the information is negative or juicy gossip which only serves to make Trident "look better" in the big picture, then would show up on your blog? Just my two cents for what it's worth.”

In this regard, please note that I mentioned in one of my earlier blog posts that I would wait a year to see what happens and gladly point out any positive news that had occurred. The fact that the writer felt that unless the information is negative or juicy that we would not comment on it, is a perception that is, quite simply, not in line with the Trident philosophy.

However, the point is, the writer’s two cents worth is worth a pound of gold. I appreciate the opportunity to respond and to assure readers that I was more concerned for the disappointment and outrage of some of our longtime friends and associates who came to us and asked for guidance and help. We didn’t report the facts because they were negative, but because what was going on at the time we received the information seemed to be unfair, unfeeling and was similar to the same shabby treatment that many of our friends had endured over the past several acquisitions.

I’m very happy to say that it seems that our friends and associates at HCSG have, apparently, a more enlightened and compassionate management. Did Trident’s initial expose’ have anything to do with this particular incident regarding the proposed payroll adjustment? I don’t know; I would rather doubt it, however.

But I do know this: it’s apparent that the NEW owners seem to be in tune with what is going on and are trying to be responsive to the needs of the employees. For that I congratulate all of you associated with HCSG and on your newfound good fortune.

It’s about time. And that’s my two cents worth.

I always appreciate comments posted herein or emailed to me privately. Keep ‘em coming.

Ralph E. Jordan
President and CEO

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

why is this stuff posted on perflist for everyone to come to...you visit expecting some thought provoking words and none are to be had

Anonymous said...

I work for HCSG and don’t believe that BS about them changing their pay etc. I have not heard anyone that was overly impressed with it. There is too much over head and there are too many cost centers to pay people what they are worth.

Anonymous said...

I work for HCSG and all I can say is 'Beware'. My experience has been a trail of broken promises and absolutely zero support. The corporate atmosphere they promote is very much gestappo. They are always hiring a new VP of this or that into their gravy skimmers club. Meanwhile, they don't care that they are dragging down the entire industry and wages for all perfusionists. HCSG should do the perfusion world a favor and cease to be.

Anonymous said...

To all my fellow perfusionists,
Being a perfusionist used to be an honorable profession and one where a clinician could be proud of his/her trade. I have been a CCP for a long time and have never seen such an insult to our community as YouKnowWho Incorporated and their "business". Their type of tactics are part of the reason why salaries have stalled and why RNs are making more than perfusionists in some regions. They are giving us all a bad name. I hang my head in shame. Disgusting!